Sunday, March 10, 2013

Deviled Eggs

Deviled Eggs make me think of two things- Springtime and Family Picnics.  I think our grandmothers could whip them up with their eyes closed, but I am not sure they ever thought to top them with delicious things.  The possibilities are endless, these are a few of ours.
Ingredients:
  • Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Mayonnaise
  • Mustard
  • Dill Pickle Juice
  • Pepper
Toppings:
  • Bacon- cooked and crumbled
  • Dill Relish
  • Paprika
  • Cinnamon Sugar Pecans (yes, I made them myself.  I will post recipe soon)
  • BE CREATIVE! Black olives, Lobster, Pimentos, or Pickles!
I begin by hard boiling the eggs.  There are dozens of ways to make them and for years every time I made them, I would have to call my Grandma Lois and ask her how long to cook them.  I am not sure if I really forgot each time or if I used it as an excuse to call and chat with her.  I put them in a pot with water covering them, bring to a rolling boil, and then turn off stove and cover for 7 minutes.  Then remove from water.
 My mother-in-law taught my kids how to crack them.  Each person gets an egg and then you hit them together, whoever's egg breaks is the loser and the winning egg attempts to break another one and so on and so on.
Just like my grandmother, I don't measure how much stuff goes into the yolk mixture.  The consistency is the most important thing.  In the egg peeling process, one egg white usually gets busted up which leaves me with an extra yolk.  Having the extra yolk allows me to make sure that I have plenty of filling to make the eggs look extra full.
Then let your creativity show!
This recipe was featured on our 30 Days of Dinners June Menu, Make sure to check out all of the other great recipes on this month's menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment