Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mickey Mouse Birdhouse

My boys are not always up for crafting with mommy.  I am not sure if that is because they are just boys or if it is because they don't share the love of crafting with me.  Either way I was pleasantly surprised by their attitudes when I got out the supplies to make these bird houses.  I think the combination of the Mickey theme (they LOVE Disney almost as much as me!) and the fact that they were able to get there hands a little messy (paint/dirt- It's all the same to them).  
Supplies
  • Wooden Birdhouse
  • Wood Circles
  • White Buttons
  • Red, Black, and Yellow Acrylic Paint
  • Paint Brushes
  • Newspaper (to line the counter)
  • Paper plate (for paint pallet)
  • Painters Tape
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Scissors
  • Clear Coat Sealer (if you want to put it outside)
I purchased most of the supplies at my local craft store A.C.Moore.  I bought two bird houses, 6-pack of wood circles, 4 buttons, and 3 bottles of acrylic paint for  less than $5.  I had the rest on hand already.  

I started by taping off the bird house so that everything but the red could be painted. Taping it off made it very easy for my kids to paint this by themselves.  

Nathan hard at work

Evan painting the roof
While the kids were painting the house, I cut a small part off of the wood circle to make a flat part to sit flush with the birdhouse roof.  Then I had the kids paint them black as well.  This project was a two day project because of drying time and other activities in between.
Then we let that dry and removed the tape.  Before you remove the tape you could add a second coat if needed.  When my husband saw them at this stage he was very concerned that we were making Pittsburgh Steeler birdhouses.  We are from Ohio, of course we were not making anything from Pittsburgh!
Then I taped off the black and yellow and let the kids paint the red.  So far so GOOD!
Once the red was dry (with optional second coat) use the hot glue gun to adhere the wood ears and buttons.  
Overall this was a very easy project and the kids can't wait to paint again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment