Monday, May 6, 2013

Teriyaki Beef and Broccoli

My husband has been asking me for a long time to try to duplicate some of our favorite take out items.  This was my first attempt and it was a mighty fine one if I do say so myself.  He said it was definitely a keeper (and believe me if he doesn't like something he lets me know). It was much easier than I expected and came together with out a bunch of weird ingredients- which is a bonus because I hate buying ingredients and only using them for one thing that I may never make again.  This I will definitely be making again. I think I will attempt chicken fried rice next.  Wish me luck!

Ingredients:
  • About a Pound of Sirloin cut into cubes or strips
  • 7 Tablespoons Teriyaki Sauce (divided )
  • 4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
  • 4 teaspoons of Cornstarch
  • 1 Cup of Water
  • 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
  • 3-4 cups of Broccoli
  • A couple handfuls White Mushrooms (optional)
  • 1 box of Linguini cooked accordingly to box (use whole grain for healthier option)
  • Dash of Oil
  • I think next time I will add bean sprouts
Serves about 5

Cut the meat into strips or cubes and marinade in 3 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce for at least 30 minutes.  Heat a dash of oil in a large skillet.  Brown meat.  Remove Meat from pan.  Set aside meat leaving drippings in the pan.  
While meat is browning bring a pot of water to boil.  Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for about 2 minutes.  Drain broccoli and set aside.  
Combine soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, water, garlic, sesame oil, and cornstarch (adding cornstarch last) in a container with a lid.  Shake until it is all combine.  Dump mixture into skillet with beef drippings and over medium high heat stir the mix constantly as it thickens (maybe 4 minutes or so).
Add in the mushrooms and cook until tender.
Toss in the broccoli and beef coating everything in the brown sauce.  This step will also re-heat the beef and broccoli if it cooled down.
Add the cooked linguini to the skillet and toss with the sauce.  Enjoy! 

This recipe was featured on the Marvelous May Menu, be sure to check out the rest of the May Menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment