Thursday, May 2, 2013

Zucchini Chips with Chive and Onion Dipping Sauce

I have been eating zucchini since I was a kid.  My mom used to bread it and fry it.  She and I were the only ones in my house that ate it and I always thought of it as a treat when zucchinis were in season.  Now I buy them at the grocery store year round.  Scott was my first family member that I brought to the delicious zucchini loving side.  But now after only a few tries I have captured my mother in law too!  I have to admit... I am quite proud of myself for that one:)

Ingredients:
  • Zucchini
  • Egg White
  • Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • Sea Salt
  • Fresh Ground Pepper
  • Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Chive and Onion Dipping Sauce
  • 2 Wedges of Laughing Cow Chive and Onion Cheese
  • 4 Tablespoons of Light Sour Cream
  • 1-2 Tablespoons of Milk
  • Salt and Pepper to Taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon of Onion Powder
  • A couple Pinches of Dried Parsley
Combine dipping sauce ingredients in a small food processor.  Add the milk a little at a time to get desired consistency.  Remember it will thicken as it sets in the fridge so start with one tablespoon and add more later.  

Cut zucchini into slices.  I usually cut them a little less than 1/2 inch.  Place them in a colander and sprinkle with a little sea salt.  Place them in the refrigerator with a bowl under the colander,  This will allow the zucchini to release water and the bread crumbs will stick better.  
After about 30 minutes in the fridge, lay the zucchini on a paper towel to remove excess water.  Preheat oven to 400.  Lightly whisk egg white.  Put about 3/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs on a plate.  Dip each slice of zucchini in the egg white and then into the bread crumbs and place them on a greased (with olive oil cooking spray) cookie sheet.  Once they are all breaded lightly sprinkle them with pepper and grate a little parmesan cheese on top.

Bake for about 18-20 minutes.  Serve right away with chive and onion dipping sauce.

This recipe was featured on the Marvelous May Menu, be sure to check out the rest of the May Menu.